Writing a Dissertation Proposal: 5 Vital Suggestions
What is a dissertation proposal?
A dissertation proposal is what a student provides to the dissertation committee and their professor before they begin working on their dissertation. The dissertation proposal is used as a way for a student to get approval, from the dissertation committee and their professor, regarding the topic they would like to write about in the dissertation. The dissertation proposal determines whether or not the topic selected by the student will be approved for the dissertation. A student cannot complete their dissertation without first getting approval for the topic that they would like to discuss in the dissertation. This is the main reason why a student presents a dissertation proposal to the dissertation committee and their professor. The dissertation proposal gives a general overview of the topic, how the topic will researched, what resources and sources will be used to research the topic, and gives the thesis statement or thesis question that will be answered regarding the topic.
How to write a dissertation proposal?
When a student writes the dissertation proposal, it must be done in a way that introduces the dissertation committee and their professor to their proposed topic. The dissertation proposal must be written in a manner that provides the reader with the following information:
- General overview of the topic.
- The thesis statement or thesis question that will be answered in the dissertation.
- Provides enough information on the topic that it will be approved by the dissertation committee to be written and discussed in the dissertation.
- The dissertation proposal should outline the topic, the thesis statement or thesis question, how the topic will be investigated and researched, and sources to be used to research the topic.
Here are a few pointers on writing a good dissertation proposal to get approval for the topic:
A student should follow these five vital suggestions in writing the dissertation proposal. If they follow these five vital suggestions, their topic will be approved for the dissertation paper:
- Ensure that the dissertation committee can clearly understand the proposal.
- The student should ensure that they can conduct research on the selected topic.
- It is very important to proofread, edit, check for correct grammar, and spell check the dissertation proposal.
- The student should be ready to expand and elaborate on the topic in the dissertation proposal if the committee or the professor wants further information on the proposed topic.
- The student must ensure that the dissertation proposal is organized, all sections of the proposal are in proper order, and must show creativity in writing the dissertation proposal.